Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service is providing fire safety and prevention advice to residents in North Shields after a man was seriously injured in a fire at his flat last week.
The fire broke out at Botham House, in Percy Main, shortly after 6pm on Thursday, 23 March. The alarm was raised by a neighbour who heard the man's smoke alarm activating.
Three fire crews from Wallsend, Tynemouth and South Shields were called to the incident and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hose reel.
The occupier was rescued from the living room and received first aid from firefighters at the scene, before being taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from smoke inhalation.
The fire is believed to have been started by tee-light candles in the living room.
Area Manager Alan Robson, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Toxic smoke from a fire in the home can kill you in seconds, and it is quite clear that having a working smoke alarm saved this man's life....
Last week, PC Keith Palmer gave his life protecting this city that is my home.
He was a husband. He was a dad. He was a police officer. And he was a thousand other things besides. I never had the privilege of knowing him – but I know what he was. ‘Hero’ barely even begins to cover it.
I didn’t actually know any Coppers before I joined the Met almost 25 years ago. Not a single one.
I knew about them of course: I saw them out on patrol; I watched them on TV; I got told off by one of them once for something I hadn’t done.
But I didn’t actually know any of them – what they were like; what made them tick. They were inhabitants of a world beyond my experience and understanding. That’s how it remains for most of us.
These days, I’m proud to count any number of them as friends. And I want you to know that the finest of them are as fine as people can be.
They are brave
Dear God, they are brave.
They are the headlong rush of blues and twos: the first to the scene; the first to the chase; the first...
Newflame Fire Equipment Co. Ltd has provided Plumis Automist systems as an innovative watermist fire sprinkler for a block of 7 flats above Baldock library, which had been converted from office space in the Hertfordshire town. The modern, open-plan design of the living areas of 6 of the flats meant that there was no protected means of escape. The LACoRS guide and Approved Document B allow open plan designs as long as some additional features, including fire suppression, are provided. The owner of the building was reluctant to install sprinklers which would have marred the clean lines of the design and in the event of discharge, accidental or otherwise would have drenched the property, the new fixtures and fittings.
The owner, whose extended family are using 4 of the flats while the 3 remaining flats are being rented out, discovered the Plumis website when searching for a resolution and sent the plans of the conversion to Newflame, the accredited Automist installer for the...
Last night I watched the BBC Brexit Question Time and was none too impressed by the performance of former Director of Public Prosecutions now reborn as a Labour front bench spokesman Keith Starmer. Permitting myself a little puff of prediction on my own trumpet I commented on 17th March 2012 at this blog`s now defunct previous site [see below] that Starmer was more suited to a political position than his current one. It seems to me that selling snake oil door to door to the undeserving poor of Islington with J. Corbyn might be more suitable for his smooth talking but unconvincing talents.
The Crown Prosecution Service has had a fair amount of what I deem justifiable criticism on this site. I am not alone. Earlier this week Her...
It appears that within a few years all those aspiring to be police officers will require to be university graduates or equivalent. On the face of it that might seem to be a sensible level of education considering the knowledge needed to do a job with so many sub speciality requirements in addition to the old fashioned idea of "thief taking". So far so good but in what could loosely be called a "people" job as opposed to a "desk" job it would seem that the recruiters are losing sight of a simple basic necessity when somebody dons a blue uniform; common sense. When I was appointed J.P. it was a facility that had to be demonstrated at interview. That aspect of personality was dropped many years ago on the spurious grounds that in order not to cause offence to ethnic minorities or those of recent immigrant status the term common"shared by, coming from, or done by two or more people, groups, or things" was no longer considered appropriate. Perhaps police appointment panels share the same philosophy because...
A RIBBON-CUTTING ceremony marked the opening of a brand new safety centre and cutting-edge emergency service training facility on Friday, March 24.
The Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service Training and Safety Centre is based in Bury and offers visitors a unique immersive experience, featuring various accidents and emergencies that have been built around a real-size terraced street in the facility.
Children from St Stephen's School, Bury, performed the ribbon-cutting to mark the centre's official opening, with numerous other schools booked in to visit the centre and learn about fire safety over the coming months.
To find more pictures from the day please click here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterfire/with/32779047064/
Following on from this week’s tragic events, the pressures on the Metropolitan Police have possibly never been greater since WWII. I don’t mean that to sound dramatic, but I happen to believe that it’s true.
Quite rightly, the Met has increased Policing levels in London in order to reassure residents and visitors alike, and in an attempt to deter any further terrorist activity in the aftermath of the events at Westminster.
In the main this has been achieved by use of extended tours of duty often ending at 2 or 3 am. Numerous officers are apparently finding themselves dismissed from duty and unable to find public transport to get home. This has apparently led to officers sleeping on the floors of their Police Stations so that they will be available for duty the following day.
This is less than desirable for any number of reasons. In the last 12 hours I have seen appeals circulating on Twitter and Facebook seeking reasonably priced (or free) hotel rooms for officers to get their heads down for a few...
Shining stars of Norfolk’s Fire and Rescue Service (NFRS) have been recognised at an awards night held at Norwich Castle.
The county’s chief fire officer David Ashworth thanked all NFRS staff for doing all they can to make our communities safe and providing an excellent emergency response in the county.
The service’s unsung heroes were presented with awards and certificates in categories including long service and good conduct for 20, 30, 35 and 40 years’ of service, making a difference, commendation and volunteer of the year.
Among those receiving accolades for their dedication to the service were Richard Miles, a crew manager for Great Yarmouth. Richard has clocked up 25 years’ service and is also an active member of Caister Lifeboat Crew.
Steven Polley, from Dereham Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) completed 30 years of service as a firefighter and then joined USAR as an on call technician. Steve and his working dog Hooky provide canine capability...
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service is appealing to dog walkers to take extra care when exercising their pets on cliff tops.
The warning comes after a number of incidents in which fire crews have had to rescue dogs that had fallen down cliff sides in the area.
The most recent incident occurred on Friday, 24 February. Two specialist rope rescue crews from South Shields Community Fire Station were called to the cliffs at Whitburn after reports that a dog had fallen into a large sink hole at the cliff edge.
Station Manager Adrian Jackson, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Obviously these areas are very popular with dog walkers and we do not want to spoil anybody's enjoyment of the coastline. All we are asking is that people keep their pets on a lead if they are going to be anywhere near the edge of cliffs.
“Fortunately, none of the animals have been lost or seriously injured as a consequence of these falls. However, given the increase in the number of these types of...