We saw another case involving a tragic death the other day, in what is known as a one-punch manslaughter. I can't go into detail, but a man punched another, who fell backwards onto a concrete pavement, hitting his head. The victim suffered a fractured skull, occasioning brain damage. The assailant came into court in custody, charged with a Section 18 GBH With Intent but the prosecutor said that the doctors were expected to cease life support within 24 hours, and that the charge was likely to change to manslaughter. There was no application for bail.
What a total tragedy. If only people realised just how fragile the human skull can be, and how vulnerable the brain within.
That was the last involvement of the magistrates' court, as the case will now be sent to the Crown Court in a matter of a few days.
Recently attended a wedding where one of the happy couple had been born in Sierra Leone.In conversation a few weeks previously he told me that anybody on his list of invitees who would havebeen in that country within four weeks of the wedding would not be invited.To reassure me, and I presume many others,he added that any of the prospective guests who had been in personal contact with any visitor from that country would with regret not be invited.
Organisations in North Tyneside are joining forces to make sure the public enjoy a safer Bonfire Night.
In the run up to November 5, North Tyneside Council is cracking down on illegal bonfires and anti-social behaviour with help from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service and Northumbria Police.
Last year, a record amount of material was removed from the borough during the campaign, preventing 28 illegal bonfires.
To help keep the public safe this year, the council will be visiting known hotspot areas from early next week.
As well as offering advice and distributing letters about the dangers of illegal bonfires, they'll be removing any material found with assistance from police community support officers and firefighters.
Speaking about the return of the campaign, Cllr John Harrison, cabinet member for Housing and the Environment, said: “Keeping our residents safe is one of our top priorities and this initiative certainly helps to do so.
“Last year, we uplifted 36 tonnes of material destined for illegal...
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) is encouraging residents and businesses to take extra care to protect their loved ones from the risks of fire.
This valuable advice comes as the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) plan to hold further strike action as part of its national dispute with the Government over pensions.
The FBU has decided upon a further four days of continuous strike action in England as follows:
Commencing Friday 31 October 2014 at 18.00 hours until Tuesday 4 November 2014 at 18.00 hours.
Chief Fire Officer Tom Capeling, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The Fire Authority and I have a legal duty to provide a fire and rescue service as far as is reasonably practicable. As with all fire and rescue services, military support and the green goddesses are no longer an option to us in carrying out our duty to protect the public.
“During periods of industrial action, the Service will offer a limited response service. A reduced number of appliances will be...