As our outward flight was via Toronto we departed on 31st knowing that our connecting flight would be cancelled. Therefore, we spent one night in a hotel near the airport in Canada. We managed to get on a 12.15pm flight to LaGuardia the next day having had to cancel our original hotel in NY as it is in Long Island! As you know they were hit badly there and the power was out etc. Catastrophe! Quickly had 15 minutes before travelling to the airport to find another hotel. Stayed at the Affinnia Shelburne near Murray Hill midtown, who also had no power for the first 2 days we were there. Luckily had hot water due to generator but no lights etc.
Of course the Marathon was cancelled which they should have done immediately!!! Found out it was cancelled an hour after collecting number from the expo at the Javis centre on Friday. Â I cannot understand why they didn't make the decision earlier!? These poor people have been devastated!Â
We arrived back yesterday afternoon, flight from JFK was delayed due to snow and we were sat on plane waiting, missed connection in Brussells but got to Heathrow eventually thank goodness. Â If it's ok with you I will run Portsmouth Marathon instead on Dec 23rd for all my sponsors, I'm sure everyone will be happy with that.
New York seems a great place and the people are lovely and just get on with things very hardy. It was bad timing and we pray for themâ€™.