It was a real shock to the system when my alerter kicked into life not long after getting back from our regular Tuesday evening drill session.
Over at the fire station I was first in and grabbed the drivers spot. Given the icy roads we actually got mobile with a crew of six in pretty sharp order.
The tip sheet showed we were off to the Premier Inn hotel on Yarmouth Road, Lowestoft to smoke in room coming from a fusebox.
We were just at the Tesco roundabout when Neil on the Lowestoft South pump called us up to say they were behind us, so, unusually, we would be first pump in.
Mel made his way with one of our crew to reception and then on to the affected room up on the first floor of the hotel. His initial thoughts were that 2 BA and dry powder fire extinguishers would do the job. But, as he approached the room, the message came back that it was a working job.
Cheesey and Jason from our pump were already donning their BA sets when this call came and hastened over to one of the hotel fire escapes.
White Watch had positioned their pump in another part of the car park which meant they were literally at the bottom of the fire escape up which BA crews would be entering the hotel.
I did a bit of nifty reversing in the somewhat full car park and got myself close to the other pump, running out a length of 70 to then supply them with my water.
By now 2 BA teams had entered the hotel via the fire escape taking a hosereel and 45 with them. Luckily the room they needed was the first on the right from the top of the fire escape and they quickly dealt with the fire.
I had by now put back an assistance message for Make Pumps 3 to ensure we had an adequate supply of BA wearers should they be needed.
And all this while the guests from this packed Lowestoft hotel had taken refuge in the Foxburrow while the hotel night staff tried valiantly to find them rooms at other Lowestoft hotels.
As their work continued ours was done - all except the wait as a manager for the hotel travelled in from Norwich and we could hand over to them.
And the culprit... The small fusebox situated just inside the hotel room had started to smoke and spark and then... well you get the picture. Although the fire damage was slight the whole room was blackened by the smoke.
Good result though. All guests were evacuated safely and the fire was confined to one room.
I just hope it didn't take too long for all the guests to be found alternative accommodation...