SHOCK tactics were used as part of a package to
influence students about cooking more safely at an event in
Manchester community safety staff and firefighters from Moss
Side's Red Watch took part in the activities as part of Health and
Safety Week at Manchester University.
The team from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service were at
the event, which was held at the university's campus on Oxford
Road, for two days.
Community Safety Advisor Lewis Jeffrey said: "The students and
passing public got to witness first-hand how devastating a chip pan
fire can be - numerous demonstrations were conducted using the
Kitchen Fire Safety Unit and general fire safety advice was given
to all spectators.
"Students might not necessarily be people we would expect to be
using chip pans but this is about cooking more safely on the whole
and if it gets them, their parents or grandparents to be safer,
then its worthwhile.
"Our work to get across our message about fire safety was all
the more significant because they had just seen how dangerous a
fire in the kitchen can be.
"One group that were excited to see the Kitchen Fire Safety Unit
was some children from a local primary school who had been visiting
the museum opposite the university. They had heard we were doing
the demonstrations and keen to see.
"This gave a perfect opportunity to promote the Home Safety
Check service and we took details from numerous people who were
interested in one while we were there."
The remainder of the week saw Community Action Team volunteers
continue promoting fire safety at the university and signing people
up to have a Home Safety check visit from GMFRS.
The Manchester team hopes to continue working with the
university and future initiatives will be planned, especially
around the freshers' week.
For further advice on fire safety in the kitchen, visit
For a free Home Safety Check, which may include the fitting of
smoke alarms, please contact Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue
Service on 0800 555 815 or visit