FIREFIGHTERS are warning people to never leave their cooking
unattended after crews across Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue
Service were called to five kitchen fires in one day.
Two fire engines from fire stations in Heywood and Oldham were
called to Fourth Avenue in the Limeside area of Oldham at 11.28am
on Thursday, August 9.
A pan of food had been left on an electric cooker and set on
fire but was out by the time crews arrived.
A few hours later, at 6.49pm, the same crews from Oldham were
called to a second cooking fire on St Martins Road in the Fitton
Hill area, along with a fire engine from Hollins.
This time a grill pan on a gas oven had caught fire after being
Firefighters carried out a Home Safety Check, fitting smoke
alarms to the house after making the gas oven safe.
At 9.28pm, a fire engine from Moss Side and one from Salford
were called to a fire involving a pan of oil which had been left
unattended on a cooker in a ground-floor flat within the Linen
Quarter apartment block in Hulme.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus put the fire out using a hose
reel before using a fan to disperse the smoke. They arranged
to return to the apartments to carry out a Home Safety Check.
Firefighters from Manchester Central and Phillips Park fire
stations were called to a chip pan fire in a ninth-floor flat on
Gunson Street in the Miles Platting area at 11.06pm.
Left unattended on the hob, the owner had been alerted to the
burning food by a smoke alarm and the blaze was out by the time
fire crews arrived.
Just before midnight, at 11.57pm, crews from Oldham were called
out to their third cooking fire of the day along with a crew from
They attended a first-floor flat on Bentley Street where a grill
pan, which had been left unattended, caught fire.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus put the fire out and dispersed
the smoke with a fan before carrying out a Home Safety Check.
Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority,
Councillor David Acton said: "It is so easy to get distracted in
the kitchen but as we can see from these incidents yesterday, that
is how fires start.
"It is lucky that no one was injured in these incidents.
It only takes a few seconds for a serious fire to start so remember
to never leave cooking unattended and to dry food before putting it
"If the oil starts to smoke, turn off the heat and leave the pan
to cool. Never fill a pan more than one-third full of oil and never
throw water over the pan and remember to keep grill pans
For more advice about safety in the kitchen go to www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_safety/safety_in_kitchen.aspx
For a free Home Safety Check, which may include the fitting of
smoke alarms, please contact GMFRS on 0800 555 815 or visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx