AN ELECTRIC lamp left too close to papers in a wardrobe caused a
fire that ripped through a ground floor bedroom in Bolton
Two fire engines, one from Bolton Central and one from Farnworth
were called to Raikes Way in the Darcy Lever area at 3.30pm on
Thursday, August 16.
When crews arrived smoke was bellowing out of the window and
crews wearing breathing apparatus used two hoses to tackle the
blaze before using a fan to disperse the smoke.
The fire started when an electric lamp that had been left on
caught fire to papers in a wardrobe, leaving half of the bedroom
with fire damage.
Chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority,
Councillor David Acton, said: "Thankfully on this occasion no one
was injured in the fire but it just goes to show you have to be
careful with electrical appliances.
"Electrical appliances should be serviced once a year by a
qualified electrician and plugs, sockets and cables need to be
wired and used correctly using the correct fuse.
"If an adaptor is needed always use bar adaptors on a lead
rather than block adaptors and never plug one adaptor into
"With electrical lamps never leave them too close to combustible
materials in the same way you wouldn't leave a naked flame like a
candle near to flammable items and papers."
If there is an electrical fire, pull the plug out, or switch off
the power at the fuse box - if it is safe to do so. Sometimes this
can stop the fire immediately.
Never use water on an electrical fire, and don't take any risks
with your safety - get out, stay out and call 999.
For more information on electrical safety go to