A MAN said he owes his life to a smoke alarm fitted by
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS).
Just before 2.30pm on Tuesday, September 11, GMFRS Control
received a call from 23-year-old Daniel Chadwick to report a fire
at his house on Robinson Street, Horwich.
Daniel said: "I woke up to the sounding of the smoke alarm and
my dogs barking, there was smoke everywhere. I really don't
think I would have got out alive if it wasn't for the smoke alarm
so I am very grateful to the firefighters who fitted it back in
Fire crews from Horwich and Bolton Central were sent to the
terraced house that was heavily smoke-logged when they arrived.
A fire started in a spare room on the first floor of the house,
which is used as an office.
A computer screen, table lamp and set of curtains were damaged
in the fire, which started when heat from the bulb caused the
curtains to set alight.
Horwich Fire Station's Crew Manager, Craig Lunt, said: "Daniel
was asleep in his bed and was woken by the smoke alarm we fitted in
2009. I think that the Home Safety Check saved his life, and
so does he.
"If it had been in the middle of the night and Daniel didn't
have an alarm his exit would've been completely blocked - there's
no way he would have made it out of that bedroom."
Daniel managed to put out the fire himself and crews used a fan
to clear the smoke.
GMFRS' community safety workers will target houses in the area
to make sure they are offered Home Safety Checks, which may include
the fitting of a smoke alarm.
Chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority,
Councillor David Acton, said: "While this man's actions were
extremely brave, we would not recommend that anyone tries to tackle
a fire themselves. Our message is simply get out, stay out
and call 999.
"Luckily, nobody was injured in this incident thanks to a smoke
alarm fitted by GMFRS - which just goes to show how important smoke
"Don't leave lamps and other electrical heat sources next to
flammable materials such as curtains, as they can easily
"If there is an electrical fire, pull the plug out or switch off
the power at the fuse - if it's safe to do so. Never use
water on an electrical fire and don't take any risks."
For more information on electrical safety go to
For a free Home Safety Check, which may include the fitting of
smoke alarms, please contact GMFRS on 0800 555 815 or visit