A YOUNG boy and his two dogs managed to escape a kitchen
fire - thanks to a passer-by.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) received a
call at 10.40am on Sunday, September 30, to report a fire involving
a house on Woodstock Close, Heywood.
Two fire crews from Heywood Fire Station were sent out - who on
arriving at the house found a 12-year-old boy outside. He had
been alerted to the fire from an anonymous passer-by, as the house
didn't have working smoke alarms.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house and
rescued the boy's dogs, and used a pressure fan to remove
Crew Manager Jimmy Hayward from Heywood Fire Station said: "The
boy's 52-year-old mother was out shopping at the time of the fire
and arrived home to find the fire service outside with her son and
"One of our trauma technicians looked at the woman as a
precautionary measure and treated her for shock, however she
declined any further treatment.
"Two White Watch firefighters wearing breathing apparatus
rescued the dogs from the house and then we did a Home Safety Check
(HSC), fitting smoke alarms. We also completed a HSC at the
next door neighbour's home.
"If it wasn't for the passer-by letting the 12-year-old inside
know about the fire this could have been a different story."
The fire started when cooking had been left unattended and
caused damage to a plastic cooking utensil and a pan on the
Councillor David Acton, Chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and
Rescue Authority, said: "It only takes a few seconds for a serious
fire to start so remember to never leave cooking unattended.
"Fortunately for the young boy involved in this incident a
passer-by alerted him to the fire after seeing smoke inside the
"If you do discover a fire in your home, please don't tackle it
yourself - get out, stay out and call 999 and wait for our crews to
get there and deal with it and remember a working smoke alarm can
save your life."
For a free Home Safety Check, which could include the fitting of
smoke alarms, call 0800 555 815, or visit
For advice on fire safety at home, please visit