CARELESSLY discarded smoking materials caused a fire to
start at a Bolton flat last night.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service's Control Room
received a call not long after 9.30pm on Sunday, November 4 to
report the fire involving the first-floor flat on Lords Stile Lane
in Bromley Cross.
Three White Watch fire crews were sent out to the address from
Farnworth and Bolton North fire stations.
When they got to the flat firefighters used breaking in gear to
gain entry and rescued a 37-year-old man, carrying him outside to
Wearing breathing apparatus and using a hose reel crews tackled
the fire that was in the back bedroom.
The man was treated by the ambulance HART team before being
taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
The fire started when smoking materials were not discarded
safely with damage being caused to the bedroom and the
Councillor David Acton, Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue
Authority, said: "One of the biggest causes of fire in the home is
smoking but you can try to stay out of danger by having a working
smoke alarm, ensuring cigarettes are fully stubbed out and using
"Always double-check that your cigarette is fully stubbed out,
never smoke in bed, keep lighters and matches out of the reach of
children, never tap ash into a waste paper basket, and if you're
feeling drowsy, drinking alcohol or taking prescription drugs,
please take extra care when smoking."
For more advice on fire safety in the home, please click on the
For a free Home Safety Check, which may include the fitting of
smoke alarms, please call 0800 555 815 or visit: