A TEENAGE boy has lost the sight in his left eye after he was
deliberately hit by a firework in Salford.
At about 7.30pm on Monday 5 November 2012, the 14-year-old boy
was with three friends on playing fields near Duchy Road.
When the group were at the children's play area, a rocket
firework was fired at them. It hit the boy in the face.
Neighbours were called and the boy was rushed to hospital.
He has now been told that he will never fully regain sight in
his left eye.
A man was seen running from the park after the firework hit the
Detective Constable Jon Marsh said: "This is an inexplicably
savage attack and I have to say that while it is tragic that this
boy has been blinded in one eye, it is also fortunate that nobody
"For many years, all of the authorities have worked hard to
advise the public on how to enjoy a safe bonfire night, and then we
hear of incidents like this.
"Our enquiries so far suggest that this was a deliberate
"Not only am I appealing for witnesses, but I am also asking for
any information that could help this investigation."
Assistant County Fire Officer Peter O'Reilly said: "Our thoughts
go out to the teenager and his family who are now living with the
impact of this injury for the rest of their lives.
"Fireworks are dangerous, which is why we work so hard to
encourage people to put safety first. It saddens us to hear of any
injuries, particularly when they have such a devastating effect
like this one.
"We hope the community is able to help us identify those
responsible for this particular incident."
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 5351
or call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800