FIREFIGHTERS and care staff presented a Christmas hamper to a
92-year-old man after being reunited with him following a fire at
Watch Manager Glyn McGann and Caroline Smith and Tracey Glynn
revisited Frank Jones on Friday, December 14, 2012 after rescuing
him several weeks ago.
Frank had been cooking some lunch at his home in Swinton on
Tuesday, October 30, 2012, when he fell over in his kitchen.
Frank said: "I was grilling some bacon and my legs just gave
way. I was worried because I knew the bacon was cooking and I
couldn't get to it.
"I pressed my pendant and told them that I had fallen over and
then I knew I would be OK."
Frank was wearing an emergency pendant around his neck that
linked him to Salford City Council's Care on Call service.
Wardens Caroline Smith and Tracey Glynn who were in the area
raced to Frank's house to come to his aid.
Tracey said: "We arrived and Caroline had a key. We
couldn't see any smoke when we got there - and Frank hadn't
mentioned that he'd been cooking - but as soon as we got inside the
smoke hit us.
"Frank was sprawled on the floor in the kitchen, so Caroline
quickly turned the cooker off and moved the grill pan and I dialled
"We knew we had to get him out of there, so Tracey opened the
patio doors and we dragged him towards the doors and the fresh
"We were coughing quite a bit but we managed to lift Frank onto
a chair and got him in the garden.
Fire engines from Horwich, Farnworth and Bolton North fire
stations arrived and firefighers gave oxygen to Caroline and Tracey
before carrying out a Home Safety Check and fitting new smoke
Frank was taken to hospital, where he was treated for ten days,
but he was reunited with Watch Manager McGann and his carers when
they presented him with a Christmas hamper containing Christmas
pudding, shortbread, tinned salmon, tea and soup.
Former railway clerk Frank, who turns 93 in January, lives
independently but now leaves cooking to wardens and friends.
Watch Manager McGann said: "On behalf of Greater Manchester Fire
and Rescue Service we wanted to give Frank a few things to help him
celebrate Christmas after what wasn't a nice experience for
"He fell, but thankfully that meant he was low on the ground and
didn't breathe in any smoke and it was the wardens that we gave
oxygen to, because they had taken in a lot.
"Frank did all the right things, he has a working smoke alarm,
he wears his emergency pendant around his neck and as we approach
Christmas that's want we want older people to do to stay safe this
"On this occasion Tracey and Caroline saved Frank and they
wouldn't have been able to do that if he wasn't wearing the pendant
around his neck.
"Frank also knew not to leave cooking unattended, because that's
how fires can start."
Councillor Peter Connor, assistant mayor for adult services,
said: "Tracey and Caroline's brave actions saved Frank's life but
they would not have been able to help him without the Care on Call
"I'm delighted this story has a happy ending."
Frank said: "I always have the pendant round my neck and I have
it next to me when I am in bed and I tell my friends and their
children now to have a smoke alarm after what happened."
For a free Home Fire Safety Check, which may include the fitting
of smoke alarms, please contact GMFRS on 0800 555 815 or visit
Stay safe and warm this winter. When using an electric blanket,
check that your blanket is not older than 10 years or damaged or
frayed. It must not have scorch marks or loose connections
and they shouldn't be used by people who are incontinent. For more
winter safety advice go to http://www.safe4winter.com/