VOLUNTEERS at Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service
(GMFRS) have spent the day in Higher Broughton after a flat fire
yesterday morning (Tuesday, January 15) carrying out clean-up
Firefighters were sent to the first floor flat on Rowan Way
after the control room at GMFRS received a call to report a fire
involving a microwave at around 7.30am.
White Watch fire crews from Broughton and Manchester Central led
two adults and two children to safety from a neighbouring flat.
The occupant of the flat involved in the fire was out at the
A group of community volunteers who are part of the Post
Incident Team (PIT) went along to the flat later in the day to help
with a clean-up operation - they removed damaged items, including
PIT Leader James McVeigh was joined by Dave Tector, deputy team
leader, and Pascal McGillvery, who are also volunteers at
James said: "We took the microwave out of the flat and removed
some other items that were damaged during the fire.
"Before leaving the property we spoke to the occupier about fire
safety in the home."
The fire caused damage to the microwave in the kitchen along
with cabinets on the wall.
Assistant Chief Fire Officer, Peter O'Reilly, said: "GMFRS'
Community Action Team of volunteers is made up of more than 500
volunteers and is designed to enhance the work carried out by
firefighters and staff, and it also provides people from across
Greater Manchester the opportunity to enhance their CVs and build
up skills and attributes that would be attractive to future
"GMFRS run a number of volunteering modules for people of all
ages and it helps to provide public value because volunteers
provide a post incident service where they help people who have had
a house fire make their homes habitable again."
To find out more about how you can become a volunteer for GMFRS
please go to
Photo of Dave Tector and Pascal McGillvery during the
clean-up, and damaged microwave and kitchen cabinets