A LIVING room was damaged by fire after a woman fell asleep
while smoking a cigarette.
Crews from Atherton, Hindley and Leigh fire stations were called
to a terraced house in Firs Lane, Leigh, at 7.39pm on Monday, May
The woman had managed to get out of the house before crews
arrived and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the
property to tackle the fire using hose reels.
The fire involved a blanket and a chair in a ground-floor living
room and it was caused by a cigarette after the woman feel asleep
Crews used a high pressure fan to clear the smoke from the house
before leaving the scene. The woman managed to escape
Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority,
Councillor David Acton, said: "Thankfully this fire was dealt with
quickly by the crews and caused only a small amount of damage, but
it could have been much worse.
"Carelessly discarded smoking materials are still a major cause
of fires in the home. Always stub cigarettes out properly and
dispose of them carefully, and don't smoke if feeling drowsy,
taking medication or drinking alcohol.
"The safest way to avoid having a smoking-related fire in your
home is to not smoke at all and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue
Service provides information on local stop smoking services to
For more information on this and for further safety advice,
visit the GMFRS website: /fire_safety_advice/home_fire_safety/smoking_safety.aspx