PRESS RELEASE â€“ TWO TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER CANDLE FIRE IN HYDE
TWO people have been taken to hospital after a candle caused a fire at a flat in Hyde.
A man and woman were taken to hospital suffering from some inhalation â€“ the man also had burns to his hands. A further man suffered smoke inhalation but declined hospital treatment.
Firefighters are using the incident as a warning to others about the dangers of candles and the importance of smoke alarms.
Chair of the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Councillor David Acton, said: â€œWhether using candles for light or decoration, itâ€™s really important that you ensure the flame is fully out before you go to bed or leave the house.
â€œLuckily nobody was too seriously injured but two people have been taken to hospital just days before Christmas â€“ and the consequences could have been far worse.
â€œMake sure candles are standing up straight and are firmly fixed in proper holders so they can't fall over and always place candles on a heat-resistant surface.
â€œHaving a smoke alarm will give you an early warning to a fire and allow you precious time to escape.â€
Crew from Stalybridge and Gorton were called to Harbour Farm Road shortly after 1am this morning (Thursday, December 18, 2014).
When they arrived, firefighters were faced with a fire involving candles and a display cabinet inside a ground-floor flat.
Watch Manager Kevin Eckersley, from Stalybridge Fire Station, said: â€œThe fire had been burning for some time and the whole flat was smoke-logged â€“ you could feel the heat inside.
â€œThere was one man from the flat concerned who suffered slight burns to his hands â€“ he also suffered smoke inhalation and a woman in a flat above also breathed in some smoke.
â€œHe was quite lucky really because the smoke alarm did its job and woke him up.â€
Crew in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to fight the fire. They gave oxygen therapy to the casualties and treated the manâ€™s burns at the scene.
For further advice on how to keep yourself and your family safe at home this Christmas, visit http://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_safety.aspx
For a free Home Safety Check, which could include the fitting of smoke alarms, call 0800 555 815 or visit http://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx