FIREIFIGHTERS rescued eight dogs reviving two of them with oxygen after an intense fire in a back garden in Little Hulton.
A crew from Farnworth and Atherton were called to Keynon Way at 7.14pm, Sunday, May 18, following reports of a fire involving a range of kennels in a back garden.
Watch Manager John Duffin said: “We think the fire was caused by a puppy that jumped up and knocked a heat lamp over.
“The lamp ignited straw on the floor and the fire tore through the kennels very quickly. When we arrived the scene was chaotic and the fire was quite intense.
“A neighbour, who had tried to put the fire out with a garden hose, was trapped in the back garden and our first priority was to make sure he was safe.
“We rescued eight dogs and revived two of them with oxygen – unfortunately four dogs died in the blaze.”
The crew used four firefighters in breathing apparatus, two hose reels and a water jet to extinguish the blaze.