SIXTEEN-year-old Charlie Ainsworth from Romiley was presented with a County Fire Officerâ€™s Certificate of Commendation at a ceremony at Offerton Fire Station on Tuesday evening.
On December 5 last year Charlieâ€™s mum, Diane, took a telephone call from the concerned daughter of their 76-year-old neighbour.Â
She was calling to ask Diane to check on her father who had rung to say there was smoke in his house.Â The gentleman had forgotten all about the food cooking in the kitchen until he found himself surrounded by toxic smoke.
Diane wasnâ€™t at home at the time so she called Charlie and asked him to go next door and check on their neighbour.Â
Charlie raced next door and could barely see for the smoke in the property.
He let himself in and found his neighbour wandering around, disorientated and confused.Â Charlie then swiftly led him out of the property to safety to await the arrival of fire crews.
With his neighbour safely outside, Charlie then went back into the property to rescue the cat.
The fire was already out when crews from Offerton, Whitehill and King Street, Stockport arrived.Â Firefighters requested an ambulance and paramedics attended to treat the gentleman for smoke inhalation.
On presenting the award, Assistant County Fire Officer Dave Keelan said â€œItâ€™s rare that members of the public receive such a high accolade from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.
â€œCharlie hasnâ€™t had any of the specialist training our firefighters receive, but still chose to put his life at risk to save his neighbour.
â€œHis courageous actions are worthy of a County Fire Officerâ€™s Commendation.â€