FIREFIGHTERS have praised the quick-thinking actions of four men who rescued a man from a house fire in Stockport.
Just after 2pm on Sunday, October 9, 2016, three fire engines were sent to Glebe Street in Offerton.Â
On arrival at the address firefighters were greeted by four men who had rescued an 88-year-old man from the house after becoming aware of the fire as they were passing in a car.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to tackle the blaze and gave oxygen to the casualty.Â He was then taken to hospital where he remained overnight.
Watch Manager Steve Johnston, from Offerton Community Fire Station, said: â€œOn arrival at the incident an elderly man was outside the house suffering from the effects of smoke.Â
â€œWe believe that a neighbour had initially attempted to enter the house involved but she decided it was too dangerous. At the same time four men passing the property in a car stopped and made their way into the house and rescued the occupier.â€
Borough Manager for Stockport, Paul Starling, said: â€œI want to praise the quick-thinking actions of the men who helped the occupier of the house, without their help this could have been a different story.â€
The fire was contained to the kitchen, however, there was smoke damage in other areas of the house.
The fire started accidentally, and further investigations are ongoing with the manufacturers of the appliance.
For a free Safe and Well visit, which may include the fitting of smoke alarms, please contact GMFRS on 0800 555 815 or visit: http://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments
Above: tumble dryer involved in fire
You can see a high-res version of the image on our Flickr site here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskL28erh