Students in Manchester are being warned to test all smoke alarms in their accommodation following a flat fire this morning (Oct 18).
The call comes after a student was rescued by firefighters when a small fire broke out in the bedroom of a flat in Bombay Street, Manchester, at 5.06am today.
It was thanks to a neighbour calling the fire service that the resident was successfully rescued by firefighters.
Watch Manager Andy Simister explained: â€œIt was a neighbour in the next door flat who called the fire service after their own smoke alarm sounded. When they went to investigate, they noticed smoke coming from underneath the door of the adjacent flat and did exactly the right thing by calling 999.
â€œThe property was occupied by students and although there was a smoke alarm inside, it was not working. This is a timely reminder to all homeowners, and especially students who have just moved into accommodation, to test their smoke alarms are working by simply pressing the test button. Every floor of a rented property should have a working smoke alarm that is tested regularly.â€
Four crews from Moss Side and Manchester Central attended the fire in the second floor flat and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel and positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish the fire and clear smoke.
The crew made a forced entry to the property and rescued one casualty, who was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. The casualty was assessed by paramedics and did not attend hospital.
Crews were at the scene for 1 hour.
The cause of the fire was accidental; believed to have involved a storage heater. If storage heaters are used, it is important residents remember to keep the area around heaters clear and not block them with clothing or other easily combustible materials.