STAY safe in your kitchen is the message from the fire service after crews attended four kitchen fires in one hour in Greater Manchester yesterday (November 15).
All four fires started in the kitchen area of properties and causes included unattended cooking and residents becoming distracted while cooking.
Area Manager Tony Hunter, Head of Prevention at Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS), said: â€œMost of us cook things every day and it is easy to become complacent and distracted â€“ thatâ€™s when accidents happen.
â€œWeâ€™re calling on residents to stand by your pan. Never leave cooking unattended and make sure your attention is focussed on the task in hand.â€
The first incident GMFRS was called to was at 4.28pm in a ground floor flat in Hyde Road, Manchester. Crews from Gorton, Ashton-under-Lyne and Whitehill attended and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a positive pressure ventilation fan to bring the fire, involving a pan of food left unattended on a cooker, under control. Crews were on scene for 45 minutes.
At 5.12pm crews from Hyde, Stalybridge and Ashton were called to a kitchen fire in Coombes Avenue, in Hyde. A fire had broken out in the kitchen of a mid-terraced house after a pan of food had been left unattended on the cooker. The fire spread to the kitchen cupboard and smoke filled the property. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and also rescued a dog. All people were safely out of the property on the arrival of the fire service. Crews were on scene for one hour.
Fire engines from Bolton, Bolton North and Farnworth were called to a fire in a microwave in Gas Street, Bolton at 5.19pm. A packet of noodles had been left cooking unattended in a microwave and the fire had smouldered out by the arrival of fire crews. Firefighters administered oxygen therapy to a 71-year-old resident suffering slight smoke inhalation. Crews were at the scene for 30 minutes.
Finally, at 5.34pm two crews from Manchester Central, Philips Park and Gorton were called to a fire in the kitchen of a 12th floor flat in Shackleton Court, Croydon Drive, Manchester. Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a jet, high pressured fans and a thermal image camera to extinguish the fire and check for hot spots. The occupier was not in the flat at the time of the incident and the fire was spotted by a neighbour, who alerted the fire service.
Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, Councillor David Acton, added:â€œFour kitchen fires in just over an hour last night certainly kept our crews busy and we would encourage residents to really think about kitchen fire safety and what they can do to keep their families safe while cooking.
â€œThe most important thing to remember is to make sure you have a correctly fitted, working smoke alarm on each floor of your property and to press to test â€“ monthly is best.â€