WARNINGS have been given by Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service after an e-cigarette charging device started a minor fire in a manâ€™s home.
Mr Wolstenholme from Wythenshawe purchased the charging device from a local outdoor stall in Wythenshawe town centre market.
Later that afternoon whilst charging his e-cigarette he heard a loud banging noise. Upon inspection he found the device had caught fire whilst plugged in on his kitchen worktop.
The gentleman managed to tackle the minor fire without fire service intervention but reported the incident to us later. Luckily no flammable materials were close to the device when it exploded.
More and more faulty E-cigarettes and related accessories are being sold in the UK, and itâ€™s important you follow the official government safety guidelines if youâ€™re planning on purchasing one of the items:
The occupier has spoken to the Wythenshawe Market Centre managers who advised him to contact the Fire Service and said they are happy to comply with our guidance.
If youâ€™d like to learn more about the government guidance on e-cigarette safety you can read about itÂ HERE.We would also like to clarify that Mr Wolstenholme was incredibly lucky tackling the fire himself. If you have a fire in your home itâ€™s not worth the risk, we advise you get out as quickly as possible and call 999.