A GROUP of young mums have been taught life-saving child and
baby first aid by firefighters at Stretford Fire Station.
Meeting for the first time on Tuesday, March 27, they were taught
basic paediatric life support and what to do if babies or children
The training was delivered by Firefighters Kevin Williams, Sarah
Baker and Mark Curry.
Firefighter Kevin Williams said: "I wanted to share my training
with the mums because my son Max is just six-months-old so I know
what it's like to worry.
"He is the reason I volunteered and it's great to share our skills.
Basic life support is different for babies and children, it's all
about getting air into their lungs and the breaths go around the
mouth and nose.
"Hopefully the parents will never need the skills, but they're good
to have just in case."
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) Community Safety
Advisor Katy O'Connor approached children's centres and Sure Start
groups across Trafford to see if GMFRS could help them with any
She said: "I wanted to get more people from Stretford into our
Community Fire Station and the demand was there from the Sure Start
"They were really keen to get involved with the first aid we could
Mothers were shown how to check a baby's airway safely before
giving breaths and safe compressions.
"We also told the parents that if a baby is choking, you should
never fish objects out of their mouths because you can make a
partial blockage into a full one," said Firefighter Williams.
"We were able to show the mums the correct way to deal with a
choking child so hopefully that put some minds at rest."
Mum Anna Stopes was joined on the course at Stretford Fire Station
by her two daughters, three-year-old Nina and six-month-old
She said: "It was great and I learnt so much. It's really
reassuring because my youngest has just started on solids so the
advice on what to do if she chokes was invaluable.
"I never thought the firefighters would teach first aid, but I
guess they do quite a bit of it as first responders, so it makes
Mum Lucy Lightowler said: "It was great, I had no idea the fire
service did this kind of thing. It was really good because
the firefighters summarised the really important bits so it will
stick with me now."
Station Manager for Stretford, Ben Levy said: "Child and infant
deaths are incredibly devastating to families and the entire
community, so GMFRS is pleased to offer baby and child CPR training
to parents in Trafford.
"Our firefighters are trained in basic life support and it's great
that they want to share their skills.
"Hopefully after this pilot we can extend and open up this training
to as many parents as possible."
Katy O'Connor added: "Demand is that great that we are looking at
doing some at children's centres and groups in the future. We
hope to do one in Sale Moor at the end of April."