FOLLOWING two incidents in separate areas of Greater
Manchester on Thursday April 5 where children have been
seriously injured by fire, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue
Service (GMFRS) are urging parents to remember fire safety as their
children enjoy the Easter holidays.
In one incident a five year old girl from Brandlesholme , Bury
was burnt when the dress she was wearing is thought to have brushed
against a gas fire in the living room of her home, igniting it
The girl's mum reacted quickly, extinguished the fire and called
the emergency services, realising her daughter had been burned she
tried to treat her by wrapping her in a damp towel.
Fire crews who arrived at the house applied burns dressings to
the girl's injuries and her treatment was then continued by NWAS
paramedics - who took her to hospital for further treatment.
In a separate incident in Ince, Wigan fire crews were called to
an incident where a 4 year old boy was injured by a fire involving
a mattress in the bedroom of a terraced house.
A women and three children had escaped from the terraced house
before the fire service arrived, and the crews confirmed the fire
had been extinguished. The boy was then taken to hospital for
The cause of the fire is now the subject of an on-going
investigation, but an early indication is that the fire may have
been started by one of the children playing with a barbeque type
Peter O'Reilly , Director of Prevention and Protection for GMFRS
said: " The Easter bank holiday break is a busy time
for all families, particularly those looking after young children,
when it's easy to get distracted.
"We would urge all parents to remember fire safety around the
home, don't let this Easter be memorable for all the wrong
For more information about safety from fire in your home or to
arrange a free Home Safety Check visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice.aspx
or call 0800 555 815.