A YOUNG couple whose kitten was trapped inside a safe have
thanked firefighters for cutting her free.
Nikita Marsh and Ashley Jevons turned up at Farnworth Fire
Station at 9pm on Monday, May 14, with six-week-old Misty locked
inside the safe.
The safe was securely locked with Misty inside but luckily the
safe wasn't airtight as the kitten could be heard meowing through
the key hole.
Using a special metal saw, the firefighters delicately cut the
sides of the safe to weaken the hinges.
Then, using a hydraulic spreader normally used for cutting
people out of cars in road traffic collisions, they slowly opened
the welded seams of the steel casing to free the kitten.
Nikita, aged 18, said: "Ashley had opened the safe to take out
the batteries for the TV remote or something and the door was open.
The kitten climbed in and I was keeping my eye on her but then
Ashley's brother Nathan came along and closed the door, not
realising that Misty was inside.
"We were really panicking and didn't know what to do."
Ashley, aged 22, and Nathan, aged 20, used crowbars and
screwdrivers to try and open the safe but nothing was working.
Panic-stricken Nikita rushed round to a nearby relative's house
with the safe and they drove to the fire station for help.
It took crews about 30 minutes to free Misty, who was carefully
handled through the small opening and handed back to her relived
Watch Manager Darren Banks said: "It was one of those battery
operated safes and someone had accidentally shut the doors. It was
securely locked and they'd realised that they didn't have right
things to get it out."
Nikita said: "I took it to the station because I knew they had
the equipment for cutting metal. But it was so noisy and I couldn't
watch them do it because I was scared for Misty.
"I can't thank the firefighters enough for what they did. Misty
was a bit shocked afterwards but we're just relieved that she's