AS the warm weather continues across Greater Manchester,
people are making the most of the sunshine and enjoying their first
barbeques of the summer.
But following a fire this week involving a disposable barbeque
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) is providing
advice to make sure everyone stays safe.
On Wednesday, May 23, Blue Watch crews from Salford Fire Station
and Manchester Central were called to the Abito Apartments on
Greengate in Salford at 7.20pm.
A smouldering barbeque had been put down a bin chute and set
fire to two industrial bins within the bin compound of the
six-storey apartment block.
Salford Station Manager Steve Forster said: "On this occasion
fire protection measures in place at the apartments meant that the
fire was confined to the bin area and our crews were able to safely
put the fire out.
"Our Salford Community Fire Safety teams are sending leaflets to
all the residents of the flats to make them aware not to discard
any smoking materials or disposable barbeques into bin chutes.
"Our teams will offer Home Safety Checks to the residents of all
the 256 apartments to make sure they stay safe and have working
Councillor David Acton, Chair of the Greater Manchester Fire and
Rescue Authority, said: "Barbecues are a pleasure many of us enjoy
when the weather is hot, but they also pose many dangers.
"Never dispose of a barbeque when it is still hot. You can
protect yourselves by concentrating on what you're doing, making
sure your barbecue is in good working order, keeping a bucket of
water nearby in case of emergencies and keeping children, garden
games and pets well away from the cooking area.
"Never leave the barbecue unattended, never use petrol or
paraffin to revive your barbecue, and never put ashes straight into
a dustbin or wheelie bin."
For more barbecue safety advice, go to
For a free Home Fire Safety Check, which may include the fitting
of smoke alarms, visit