Norfolkâ€™s Chief Fire Officer, Nigel Williams, is calling on men in the county to support a new campaign which has just launched in which more than 120 have already signed up in support to say no to domestic violence.
The 'Norfolk Men Say No' campaign, which launched on Monday 25 November, is being led by Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service CFO Nigel Williams who is urging men in the county to sign a pledge to champion that they also â€œsay no to violence against women and girlsâ€.
The campaign is part of the wider 'Norfolk Says No' campaign as well as the national and international 'Say No' campaign which underline their commitment to protecting victims and survivors of domestic abuse and sexual violence and their children and bringing perpetrators to justice.
An estimated 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men have experienced domestic abuse in their lifetime, with women experiencing a far higher level of repeat incidents than men.
In families where there is domestic violence, children witness about three-quarters of the abusive incidents. About half the children in such families have themselves been badly hit or beaten. Children in these families are more likely than other children to exhibit aggressive and anti-social behaviour or to be depressed and anxious. They often have low self-esteem and do badly at school.
As part of the 'Norfolk Men Say No' campaign, Nigel Williams has already made contact with many men in the county and so far more than 120 have already signed up. They include County Councillor Dan Roper, Leader of Broadland District Council, Andrew Proctor and Police and Crime Commissioner for Norfolk, Stephen Bett.
Nigel Williams said: â€œI have been contacting men across Norfolk, including those who are in the public eye, those who are role models, those who believe passionately about caring for the well being of others, Norfolk men who are prepared to Say No! in the hope they will also support the Norfolk Men Say No campaign. However, what I would say that this campaign highlights the importance for everybody to pledge their support against domestic violence and at any time of the year.
â€œI am proud to be starting the initiative off and will act as spokesman for the first year. I would urge all men to sign up and add their support to Norfolk Men Say No and letâ€™s do what we can to ensure Norfolk is a safe place for everyone.
"I believe we should not ignore or be embarrassed in confronting domestic violence and its consequences â€“ this campaign is an opportunity to highlight the importance of the issue.â€
Both victims and perpetrators of domestic abuse and sexual violence can be of any gender, any age, any social and professional class, any mental or physical ability, any race or religious belief and any sexual orientation.
Dan Roper, Cabinet Member for Public Protection at Norfolk County Council, said: â€œI fully support any action taken to raise awareness about domestic abuse and sexual violence to help eradicate it from society.
â€œIt is worrying that so many people still experience this kind of unthinkable and inexcusable behaviour. I am pleased that Norfolkâ€™s Chief Fire Officer has decided to lead the Norfolk Men Say No campaign and I will certainly be signing my pledge of support.â€
People wanting to support the Norfolk Men Say No campaign are asked to sign up by visiting: