A man has been charged with numerous historic sexual offences against children.
Alan Dawson (born 29/09/1950), of Newcroft Road, Urmston, is charged with the rape of a child under 16 and 14 counts of indecent assault on a female child under the age of 16.
He is due before Salford and Manchester City Magistrates’ Court on 22 July 2014.
The charges follow an investigation by Greater Manchester Police’s Public Protection Investigation Unit into reports of historic abuse that took place in the Didsbury area of Manchester between the 1960s and 1980s.
The charges relate to four different victims, all women.
Specially-trained officers are continuing to provide support and advice to the women.
Anyone who is affected by this investigation should call DC Terina Arthern on 0161 856 6063.
Greater Manchester is nationally recognised as a model of good practice in terms of support services available to victims.
- If you or someone you know has been raped or sexually assaulted, we encourage you not to suffer in silence and report it to the police or a support agency so you can get the help and support available.
- You can call Greater Manchester Police on 101, or alternatively people can refer themselves to St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre on 0161 276 6515.
- St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Manchester provides a comprehensive and coordinated forensic, counselling and medical aftercare service to anyone in Greater Manchester who has experienced rape or sexual assault. Services are available on a 24-hour basis and people can access them either as a self-referral or via Greater Manchester Police.
- Manchester Rape Crisis is a confidential support service run by women for women and girls who have been raped or sexually abused. Confidential helpline: 0161 273 4500. Black and Minority Ethnic helpline: 0161 273 4514.
- Survivors Manchester offers support and counselling for adult male survivors of sexual abuse and rape, regardless of when the event happened. Contact 07919 246 267.