A man has been sentenced for the rape of a teenager 32 years ago.
Christopher Martin (born 04/12/1963) of Bethnall Drive, Manchester was sentenced on Monday 26 January 2015, at Manchester Crown Court to seven years in prison. Â He was found guilty of rape at an earlier hearing.
He was also ordered to sign the sex offenders register for life.
In the early 80’s the victim who was 15-years-old at the time attended a social club in Fallowfield on Sunday evenings with a friend.
Over the summer of 1980 the victim met Martin at the club, one night he offered to walk her home and they left together at around 11pm – midnight. Â As they walked home Martin suggested cutting through a park.
The teenager resisted but Martin took hold of her hand and led her into the park. Â Once in the park he pushed her to the floor, slapped her across the face a number of times and told her to shut up. Â He then raped her.
Martin got dressed and started to walk away leaving her in the park, she asked him not to leave her because she was scared and she walked with him to the edge of the park during which time he has told her that he has a girlfriend and that she would batter her.
She felt at the time she could not report the rape to the police.
Detective Constable Laura Hughes said: â€œThe victim was so scared after she had been raped that she felt she could not report it to the police. Â However recently she saw Martin a number of times and her memories of the attack came back to her and this along with the media reports regarding historic rapes gave her the confidence to come forward and report the incident to the police.
â€œI would like to praise her for having the courage to come forward and speak to us over three decades after the attack happened.
“I hope that this sentence provides some encouragement to other people who may have been victims of this sort of abuse to report it to the police.”